Archives

 The College Song

The ‘Thomian Song’ was first introduced in the April issue of the College Magazine in 1916. The lyrics of the College Song were written by Mr. Edmund de Livera, a Royalist; and music was composed by Revd. W. A. Stone, 8th Warden of S. Thomas’ College. Prof. R.B.W. Jayasekera, a former choirmaster arranged it with harmony.

The ‘Thomian Song’ is the song of aspiration of all Thomians. The message conveyed in the 5 stanzas calls all Thomians to ‘rally round the flag’. The song tells us to be loyal to our God, our church and our country with the true Thomian characteristics of keenness, gentleness and all round capabilities. It also advises us to rejoice in victory, learn to take defeat and to always stand for our Alma Mater. The 5th line of the 2nd verse was amended in the time of Warden M. L. C. Illangakoon on a suggestion made by the late Mr. Mervyn Casie-Chetty, and ‘King’ was replaced by ‘State’.

 

1. Thomians young and Thomians old,
Thomians staunch and true!
Rally round the College Flag,
The Blue, the Black and Blue
To your Alma Mater sing,
Thomians near and far
Loudly let the echo ring,
For all we have and are. 

Esto Perpetua
Esto Perpetua
Esto Perpetua
The Blue, Black and Blue forever!

3. In the field of intellect
Many a prize we’ve won,
And upon the field of sport
Thomians yield to none.
Be it work, or be it play,
We will do and dare.
To the College therefore sing
For all we have and are. Chorus  
2. Like the serpent keen and wise,
Harmless as the dove,
By the cross we’re knit in one
Holy bond of love.
Loyal to our Church and state
Both in peace and war,
To the College we will sing
For all we have and are. Chorus
We rejoice in victory,
When our foes we beat,
We have learnt, when fortune frowns
How to take defeat,
All unfriendly rivalry
From our lives we bar
To the College therefore sing
For all we have and are. Chorus
When into the world we go
For our life’s career,
As the call of duty sounds,
We will answer clear
Onward to the goal we press,
Guided by our star.
To the College therefore sing
For all we have and are. Chorus

 


The College Colours/ Flag

The College uses the colours dark blue and black. The necessity of instituting colours, for the school was considered by Warden Miller in 1883. In a letter to his wife in England he wrote that the general opinion is that the best combination would be one of dark blue and black, black in the middle and blue outside. The College Colours were begun to be used on 15th January 1885.

There is also a generally acceptable interpretation of the College Colours. Blue is the colour of the sea and the sky- of that which is eternal and infinite. It stands for all that is true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent, praiseworthy and most of all divine. Black is the colour of darkness: ignorance, sin, shame and all that is evil and sad. The Blue meets The Black, but it does not stop there. Instead it emerges as Blue again. That which is of positivism, optimism and divine meets that of negativism, pessimism and diabolical and emerges and triumphs in the end. In other words, we believe in things of God, virtue and goodness that which is positive and dynamic; and is victorious over all that are of sinful and hateful.


The College Crest

The earliest crest in use since 1851 was the picture of St. Thomas, the apostle standing bareheaded in flowing robes with a staff in his right hand and an open book in the left and a benign expression on his face. The words ‘The College’  above and ‘of St. Thomas the apostle 1851’ are inscribed below the figure which appears to stand in the niche of a rock as shown in the image.
In the early twenties an entirely new design was introduced for the crest but no evidence is available of the authorship, though it was during the regime of Warden Stone. The crest had a black background set in a blue shield. Diagonally across the shield from left to right is a rectangular black band with the motto ‘Esto Perpetua’ in white Capitals. On the top left is a white dove diving downwards with a green spring in its beak. On the lower right is an open book in white. Immediately below and to the left in red is a cross with a green serpent entwined, its tail resting on the horizontal arm and its head near the base of the vertical upright. The letters ‘S.T.C. C.C.’ in large white capitals appear below the shield as shown in the image.
The elaborate and colourful crest now in use since 1947 was introduced by Canon de Saram. It adopts the main features of the crest of the Diocese of Colombo, Church of Ceylon, popularly known as the Coat of Arms of the Diocese.

The elements of this College Crest/Crest of the Diocese of Colombo (Church of Ceylon) are based on the Words of our Lord Jesus Christ according to St Matthew 10:16 “Behold, I send you forth as sheep in midst of wolves. Be ye therefore wise as serpents and harmless as doves.” The cross pictured in red symbolizes that our foundations are based on the Doctrines of Christianity. The Black outer cross conveys the message that all Thomians are bound together through it. The Bishop’s Mitre, depicted in Yellow, above the shield symbolizes that the College is governed under the Church and is guided by the Holy Spirit, who is our comforter and counselor.

We have the authority of Rev. Dr. Graham Martyr in a note published in the centenary volume of “The History of the Diocese of Colombo” edited by Archdeacon Emeritus F.L. Bevan and published in 1946. “The fact is that the Diocese has no Arms. The bearings were introduced by Bishop Chapman, correct but unimpressive heraldry. As they were never matriculated at the College of Arms, they have no legal existence; as was also the case with the Arm of Bishop Chapman as his own.”

The fictitious Arms used by the Diocese are blazened as follows- Argent Roman passion cross all correct; Gules entwined by snake coiled in base proper; On a chief azure a dove velant holding in its beak an olive branch all proper.

The present crest is a combination of the Diocesian crest superposed on the intersection of a Black Scarcely Cross inset on a horizontal yellow scroll below it as shown in the image below.


The College Motto

The College Motto ‘Esto Perpetua’ was used since the early days of the inception of the college. This fundamental which is from Eton College England was introduced by our founder Bishop Chapman, who himself was an Etonian. This Latin motto when translated means ‘Be Thou Forever’.

It is worth mentioning that when the College was adopting the medallion of St. Thomas as the crest, the phrase ‘Pro Deo et Ecclesia’ was also being used under it. This in English means ‘For God and Church’.

Therefore the whole message of the College motto is that of a blessing of which S. Thomas’ may flourish forever for the betterment of God and His Church.